Model with mathematics.
Mathematically proficient students in Second Grade:
- Model real-life mathematical situations with a number sentence or an equation
- Check to make sure that their equation accurately matches the problem context
- Use concrete manipulatives and pictorial representations to provide further explanation of the equation. Likewise,
- Are able to create an appropriate problem situation from an equation.
- For example, students are expected to create a story problem for the equation 43 + 17 = ___ such as “There were 43 gumballs in the machine. Tom poured in 17 more gumballs. How many gumballs are now in the machine?”